Monday, September 17, 2007

Cover of the Month (oops!)

I meant to come back and add more covers, but I guess I got too distracted listening to covers to remember to come back and write about them!

When I'm not listening to the amazing Espers covers I wrote about last time, I'm enjoying Pete Yorn's cover of The Smiths' "Panic". I love this cover, which is true to the original, yet sounds like a Pete Yorn song. After enjoying it for a month or so, I learned to appreciate it on a different plane when watching the original Smiths video on VH-1 Classic. I have always enjoyed this song, but I didn't know much more of the lyrics than the catchy "hang the D.J." hook. I enjoy it so much more now knowing most of the words, and recognizing that Pete Yorn took the British location references out and replaced them with obscure American references that at least people who have lived in L.A. will appreciate perhaps more than obscure British references. That is of course assuming you aren't a British expatriate living in the U.S. In that case, you might be offended by Pete Yorn's mangling of your historical references!

In any case, if you're a Smiths, Pete Yorn, British, Los Angeles or just good music fan, you should check this out.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home