Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Train 45

Recently I've gotten into the Rock Solid podcast, and it's motivated me to list my own songs that I would use if I were doing such a podcast.  The most recent episode I listened to was their dedication to the Smile Train charity, using songs with "smile" or "train" in the title, called "Smile Train" .

Here's my own Smile Train list:

1. Uncertain Smile - The The

One of the best songs ever written, point blank.

2. I Can't Stop Smiling - Velocity Girl

I do love Velocity Girl, and this is most definitely one of their catchiest!

3. That Certain Smile - Midge Ure

Love this whole album, but Midge Ure! I think it's a cover even but I can't remember who covered it.

4. Last Train to Clarksville - The Monkees

I've been a Monkees fan since the late '80s and every time I drive through Clarksville, MD I have to sing this song :)

5. Jumping Someone Else's Train - The Cure

One of The Cure's greatest hits, bar none.

6. Reptile Smile - Th Faith Healers

This is one of those late '80s British bands that we Americans didn't hear much of, but this has been a favorite of mine for many years!

7. Grin - The Wonder Stuff

A bit of a diversion from the "smile" theme, but I hope it fits and The Wonder Stuff is one of my favorite bands!

8. Fear of Trains - Magnetic Fields

From the Magnetic Field's classic The Charm of the Highway Strip, one of their best songs!

9. Sara Smile - Hall and Oates

I have been a Hall and Oates fan my entire life.  This is not necessarily one of my favorites of theirs, but when I saw their Biography and heard the story of how close to Sara (Daryl Hall's girlfriend's sister) they were and how she died of cancer very young, it jumped in my estimation.

10. Train in Vain - The Clash

I love The Clash even more these days and this one is great, even the Annie Lennox cover is pretty good!

Look out for my lists as I listen to more episodes (I've got a lot to get caught up) and make more lists :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home